MAPLE PARKâ€”A barn caught fire at 12:30 p.m. Monday at 5N596 Meredith Road, and local firefighters doused the flames within half an hour. No people or animals were in the barn at the time of the blaze, and no one was injured.
The fire started when the wind blew sparks from a rubbish fire that a farmer was conducting near the barn on his property.
â€œThe wind picked up and got the sparks flying,â€ Maple Park Fire Chief Kevin Peterson said.
The farmer was allowed to burn debris at that time of day under Kane County ordinances, Peterson said.
Peterson called nine other local fire departments to assist Maple Parkâ€™s with the fire in case they were needed, but just five departments including approximately 25 firefighters were able to put out the blaze.
â€œLuckily we didnâ€™t need them all,â€ Peterson said.
After extinguishing the fire, firefighters spent an hour and a half checking the barn to make sure no sparks or hot spots remained, Peterson said.
Fire damage was mostly to the old wood roof and was estimated at between $5,000 and $10,000, Peterson said.