Police, fire chiefs agree on burn permit changes

By on July 23, 2010

ELBURN—The Elburn Police Department currently issues burning permits for outdoor fires. However, Police Chief Steve Smith suggested during the July 12 Public Safety Committee meeting that the Elburn & Countryside Fire Department should do the inspections for burn permits.

“We are inserting the Police Department and the village administration into something we don’t know as much about,” Smith said.

Fire Chief Kelly Callaghan agreed and said the Police Department still would enforce burning code violations.

Village Administrator Erin Willrett said village staff will bring the issue to the Village Board for a possible change in the municipal code allowing for the Fire Department to conduct burning permit inspections.

“I think it’s a great idea to work together,” Willrett said.

About Elburn Herald

The Elburn Herald has been serving the Kaneland communities since 1908. To reach our editor, Keith Beebe, email info@elburnherald.com, or call (630) 365-6446, ext. 105. To reach our owner/publisher, Ryan Wells, email RyanWells@elburnherald.com, or call (630) 365-6446, ext. 107.

1. Thomas

July 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Interesting statement considering the source. These law abusing cops in Elburn actually admitting there is something that they do not know much about. The Elburn Police I have encountered have barely accomplished a High School education let alone the ability to enforce the law. Now they are given new responsibilities?

2. Elburnite

July 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Thomas, your comment really doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Your “law abusing” comment may have only applied to about 10 years ago when Elburn police were accused of corruption. This is no longer the case. The new chiefs of police since have brought back respect for the department. There have been no cases of corruption or abuse since. If you think there was, I’d love to hear it. Elburn has one of the lowest crime rates at 10.3 per 1000, making Elburn the 13th safest town to live in Chicagoland. I would not attribute this number to the Elburn police not having the “ability to enforce the law” as you say.
    Regarding the education, how could you possibly determine whether an officer has “barely accomplished a High School Education” just by encountering them. Do you spend your freetime researching educational levels of local police officers in your freetime? I didn’t think so. I believe this is just another unbacked accusation. Many of these officers have college educations and are veterined police officers who have been protecting communities successfully for decades. Thanks to these men, I can feel safe in my community.
    I actually think it’s a wise decision that Steve Smith is delegating this burning permit issue to the fire department. Doesn’t this completely make sense? This is a responsible decision for the chief.
    I commend the entire Elburn police department for doing a tremendous job at protecting our community. Unfortunately there will always be a few such as Thomas that will not recognize this fact and attempt to tarnish a great department.

3. Thomas

July 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

That’s a wonderful rebuttal Officer, however “law abusing” would be an accurate definition based on the fact that the marching orders that these soldiers work off of are based on entrapment and ticket quotas. Both of which make it miserable just to drive through town for groceries. Let the fine members of the Fire Department handle the task, at least we know it will be done without malice or favoritism towards the members of my community.

4. Elburnite

July 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Again, all speculation, and no I’m not an “officer”. Just because I don’t share your bitterness does it mean that I’m a police officer. In other words, you think that if anyone in our community doesn’t agree with your outlandish opinion, they MUST be police officers. Ridiculous!! Sounds like you’re bitter for being caught for a traffic violation. These officers don’t win a prize if they issue more tickets, just the comfort in knowing they’re keeping our community safe. No one forces you to go through Elburn, and they wouldn’t ticket you if you weren’t breaking the law, so how is this “law abusing” and entrapment??
    Really, this discussion is a waste of my time.

5. informed

July 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Elburnite….and yet you engage……

6. Thomas

July 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Apparently you do have the time, for starters. Secondarily I am an upstanding member of the community and a prominent business owner in the County of Kane. I am also a father of three and a grandfather of two grandchildren that also live in this community.
    My grandaughter and myself were stopping at the local Jewel recently when we saw an Elburn officer engaged in a near argument with a mother at the Redbox. She apparently was briefly parked in the firelane while returning a movie and had children in her mini van. The officer (who strangely resembled Blago-both physically and intellectually) was shouting at her in front of her kids as she explained that she had only been there for a brief moment. He then threatened to cite her for child endangerment and potential arrest. Wow, that was necessary. You’re right….this fellow is definitely a hero with the communities best interest in mind.

7. outdoor1

August 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Hey Thomas, last time I was at Jewel it was illegal to park in the firelane. Also, sounds to me that the mother was too lazy to get her kids out of the car to park in a legal spot to return her movie. Why don’t people just follow the rules and then they won’t have a problem with the police. I for one appreciate the Elburn Police Department and the fantastic job they do.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login