- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
Knight Alef among best in backstroke
WINNETKA, Ill.—Kaneland senior Grant Alef went into the the IHSA State swimming and diving meet on Friday at New Trier High School, and emerged as one of the elite on Saturday.
On Friday, the University of Minnesota-bound Alef swam sixth in the 100-yard backstroke at 51.42 seconds, qualifiying him for Saturday’s final.
Friday also saw Alef finish just 1.13 seconds off of a chance for the consolation final in the 500-yard freestyle event (4:40.29).
On Saturday, Alef excelled enough for a fifth-place finish in the state with a time of 51.18 in the backstroke. Naperville Central’s Sean Lehane took the event crown at 50.28.
Alef had previously qualified for two events at the St. Charles North Sectional, in the 500-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke. He swam a solid four minutes, 37.69 seconds in the freestyle, Alef also swam the 100-yard event in 51.37 seconds, taking the sectional title and producing the second-best time in the state.