July 8 police blotter
By Elburn Herald
on July 8, 2011
The following reports were obtained from local police departments. The individuals charged with crimes are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
• Scott William Kopis, 22, of the 42W700 block of Keslinger Road, Elburn, was charged on June 25 with driving under the influence of alcohol, operating an uninsured vehicle, and operating a vehicle without rear tail lights.
• Roxana Garcia, 26, of Plano, was stopped by police on July 3 after failing to stop at a stop sign at Kansas Street and Route 47. Garcia was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, disobeying a stop sign and operating a vehicle without a valid registration.
• Barry Lee Hodge, 46, of the 1S700 block Deerpath Road, Batavia, was charged on July 2 with not having a valid safety test and driving on a suspended license. Hodge posted bond and was released with a court date of August 5.
• Police responded to a complaint of two individuals urinating on the street in the 600 block of Independence Avenue on June 25. Alexander Haas, 20, of the 0N200 block of Route 47, Elburn, was charged with unlawful consumption by a minor and given an August 5 court date.
• Sugar Grove Police on June 30 arrested Steve M. Montega, 34, of the 9000 block of Lamb Drive in Oak Lawn, Ill., after discovering that Montega had two active warrants out of the Kane County Sheriff’s Office for home repair fraud and driving while license suspended. There was also a non-servable warrant for Montega out of Virginia. Montega was taken into custody and transported to the Kane County Sheriff’s Office.
He had been a passenger in a vehicle stopped for a traffic offense.
• Sugar Grove Police on July 1 were dispatched to Volunteer Park on a report of criminal damage to property.
• A Sugar Grove Park District employee told police that someone during the night had pushed over a port-a-john and peeled a large portion of bark off of a tree. The tree is not expected to survive, and is estimated at a worth of about $2,000. A smaller replacement tree would cost somewhere around $450. An investigation is pending.
• Sugar Grove Police on July 3 were dispatched to the 100 block of East Park Avenue on a report of criminal defacement of property. Police observed color graffiti on the front window and the glass on the front door. The victim also stated that there was an unknown person on her property right outside her window while she was sleeping. An investigation is pending.
• Sugar Grove Police on July 3 observed another house on the 100 block of East Park Avenue that had graffiti of the glass on the front door. The victim was unaware of the graffiti at the time of police arrival. An investigation is pending.
• Sugar Grove Police on July 3 observed graffiti on a “stop ahead” sign at the intersection of St. James Parkway and Whitfield Drive. The sign was spray painted to read, “Don’t stop ahead thanks.” An investigation is pending.
• Sugar Grove Police on July 3 observed a stop sign on St. James Parkway that had been defaced with graffiti. The sign was spray painted to read, “Don’t stop believing.” An investigation is pending.