- 2014 Football Preview: Helmet to helmet
- 2014 Tennis Preview: Bedrock of success on court
- 2014 Girls Cross Country Preview: Trail mix
- 2014 Boys Soccer Preview: Soccer hopes for more of the same
- 2014 Golf Preview: Chipping away at challenges
- 2014 Boys Cross Country Preview: Boys XC always in the running
Former St. Charles man sentenced to 2 years In prison
Crash last year severely injured other vehicle’s driver
ST. CHARLES—A former St. Charles man was sentenced to two years in prison for driving his car into an oncoming vehicle last Augustan act that caused serious injuries to the driver of the other vehicle.
George H. Smith, 81, was driving east on State Street in Geneva when he swerved into oncoming traffic and struck a car driven by Mark Rein of Geneva head on.
Rein suffered serious injuries, including a brain hemorrhage, and is still recovering. Following the crash, Smith told police that he drove into oncoming traffic with the intent to kill himself and injure someone else.
Smith had faced a sentence of probation or a maximum of three years in prison.
During his opportunity to address the court, Smith turned to the victim and his wife and apologized for his actions.