- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
Soccer ousted by Cadets
by Mike Slodki
DeKALB—There would be no last-minute magic for Kaneland soccer on Saturday evening.
After the down-to-the-wire heroics of Alex Gil on Oct. 18, to put the Knights in view of their second straight regional crown, Marmion Academy’s lone goal in the first half was enough to put the Knights’ 2011 season to rest with a 1-0 defeat.
Kaneland eclipsed last year’s win total, however, and finished at 12-7-1.
The Cadets beat East Moline United, 3-0 during Tuesday’s sectional in Freeport, Ill., and will head to the sectional final.
Mick Maley’s goal with 11 minutes, 31 seconds before the halftime buzzer proved to be the final margin.
“We got out-possessed, but (Marmion’s) a good team,” KHS coach Scott Parillo said. “We had our chances early, and who knows?
If we make one of those in the first couple of minutes, it’s a whole different ball game.”
Although he allowed the lone goal, Kaneland goalkeeper Marshall Farthing also swatted away another potential gimme on a penalty kick with 26 minutes remaining.