- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
Sugar Grove’s Zauner receives gold medal in preschool teaching
SUGAR GROVE—Samantha Zauner of Sugar Grove was awarded the Gold Medal in the Preschool Teaching competition (post-secondary/college level) at the 2011 SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference in Kansas City, Mo., during a competition earlier this year.
Zauner has been a member of SkillsUSA since her senior year in high school and has placed first in the state in 2008, 2010 and 2011.The 2008 Kaneland High School graduate is currently a student at Illinois State University, where she is pursuing a double major in special education.
While in high school, she received her education in Early Childhood from the district’s Fox Valley Career Center’s Early Childhood Program, where she realized her calling as a teacher and specifically to help those with special needs.
In order to qualify for the national competition, students competed in local and state contests. The state gold medal winners advanced to the national SkillsUSA Championships.