- 2014 Football Preview: Helmet to helmet
- 2014 Tennis Preview: Bedrock of success on court
- 2014 Girls Cross Country Preview: Trail mix
- 2014 Boys Soccer Preview: Soccer hopes for more of the same
- 2014 Golf Preview: Chipping away at challenges
- 2014 Boys Cross Country Preview: Boys XC always in the running
Sugar Grove’s Zauner receives gold medal in preschool teaching
SUGAR GROVE—Samantha Zauner of Sugar Grove was awarded the Gold Medal in the Preschool Teaching competition (post-secondary/college level) at the 2011 SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference in Kansas City, Mo., during a competition earlier this year.
Zauner has been a member of SkillsUSA since her senior year in high school and has placed first in the state in 2008, 2010 and 2011.The 2008 Kaneland High School graduate is currently a student at Illinois State University, where she is pursuing a double major in special education.
While in high school, she received her education in Early Childhood from the district’s Fox Valley Career Center’s Early Childhood Program, where she realized her calling as a teacher and specifically to help those with special needs.
In order to qualify for the national competition, students competed in local and state contests. The state gold medal winners advanced to the national SkillsUSA Championships.