- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
Church moves forward with lot closure
ELBURN—The Community Congregational Church late Thursday announced that it will move forward with closing the parking lot in downtown Elburn as of Sunday, April 15.
The announcement said the decision was not easy.
“It is with a heavy heart that the Community Congregational Church must close our parking lot to public parking as of April 15th, 2012,” church moderator Sharon Lackey wrote in her email. “We know that the local businesses need this parking and that is why we have allowed its use by the public for as long as we possibly could.”
Lackey cited concerns with the church’s insurance coverage as the primary motivator for the church’s decision.
“Our insurance coverage for the lot is only valid as long as it is primarily used for church parking and only incidental public parking. Therefore, we cannot expose the church to the liability of violating the terms of our insurance coverage,” she wrote. “We had hoped that the village of Elburn would see the value of the parking lot to the viability of the downtown businesses and make an offer for the lot so that it can continue to be available for public parking. This has not occurred so the lot will be closed as planned on April 15th.”