Up in flames
By Elburn Herald
on March 1, 2013
Photo: A fire on Tuesday evening resulted in the loss of Hintzsche Fertilizer’s maintenance building at its Troxel location. Firefighters combated the blaze for nearly four hours. Photo by John DiDonna
Hintzsche loses maintenance building in fire
TROXEL—Kaneville Fire Protection District firefighters on Tuesday evening were dispatched to Hintzsche Fertilizer, 2S181 County Line Road, on a report of a possible structure fire.
According to Hintzsche Fertilizer President Dave Hintzsche, a semi-truck parked inside a maintenance shop on the property caught fire around 5:45 p.m. The blaze then extended to the actual maintenance building.
“We suspect it was due to an electrical fire with the semi-truck,” he said.
Kaneville firefighters arrived at the scene at approximately 5:50 p.m. Additional aid was provided from local fire departments, including Elburn, Maple Park, Sugar Grove, Big Rock, Hinckley, De Kalb, Burlington, Hampshire, Pingree Grove, Shabbona, Little Rock-Fox and Bristol-Kendall.
According to Tate Haley, assistant chief of fire operations for the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District, firefighters remained on the scene for just under four hours.
Hintzsche said the entire maintenance building was lost in the fire, as were some pieces of equipment.