Elburn Village Board approves new Fire Station

By on June 21, 2013
Image/Map via Google

ELBURN—The Elburn Village Board on Monday approved an ordinance to allow a special use of a lot for construction of a new Fire Station that will be constructed on the corner of Route 38 and First Street.

According to Elburn and Countryside Fire Chief Kelly Callaghan, the Fire District has outgrown the 20,000-square-foot station on North Street in Elburn, which was originally built in 1960.

The new building will be 40,000 square feet, giving the district the room it needs for updated equipment and staffing levels. The new location will also give the Fire Station access in all directions.

The cost of the project will be between $8 and $10 million, and according to Assistant Chief of Fire Operations Tate Haley, the district already has the necessary funding.

The Elburn & Countryside Fire Protection District’s service area, which spans 75 square miles, includes the villages of Elburn, Lily Lake, Virgil, Campton Hills and Mill Creek subdivisions. The boundary on the north is Ramm Road, and the southern boundary is Scott Road, with the eastern and western boundaries fluctuating.

The current main station is located at 210 E. North Street, with a satellite station located at 39W950 Hughes Road, immediately outside the Mill Creek Subdivision.

About Elburn Herald

The Elburn Herald has been serving the Kaneland communities since 1908. To reach our editor, Keith Beebe, email info@elburnherald.com, or call (630) 365-6446, ext. 105. To reach our owner/publisher, Ryan Wells, email RyanWells@elburnherald.com, or call (630) 365-6446, ext. 107.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login