- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
MP crash claims life of Cortland resident
MAPLE PARK—A Cortland woman died Monday afternoon as a result of injuries sustained from a car accident in Maple Park.
A preliminary investigation indicates that Shanay Martin, 32, of Cortland, was traveling westbound on Route 38, east of Watson Road, in her Mercury Marquis when she approached a line of cars that were stopped and waiting for a vehicle to turn south onto Watson Road. In an effort to avoid striking the rear of the last car stopped in the line of traffic, Martin crossed over into the oncoming lane of traffic and was struck by a Chevrolet pickup truck traveling eastbound on Route 38.
Martin was later pronounced deceased at Delnor-Community Hospital. The driver of the truck, Benjamin Frerichs, 35, of Maple Park, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.