- 2014 Football Preview: Helmet to helmet
- 2014 Tennis Preview: Bedrock of success on court
- 2014 Girls Cross Country Preview: Trail mix
- 2014 Boys Soccer Preview: Soccer hopes for more of the same
- 2014 Golf Preview: Chipping away at challenges
- 2014 Boys Cross Country Preview: Boys XC always in the running
Knight boys earn lucky seventh in Sterling
by Mike Slodki
Kaneland boys cross country did the best it could to navigate the Rock River Run course in Sterling on Saturday morning, and came away with a seventh-place finish out of 15 varsity outfits.
Belvidere North (49), Normal West (58) and Geneva (88) took the top three spots, while the Knightsâ€™ 225 point total was in between Dixon (192) and Freeport (268).
Genevaâ€™s Kevin McDowell was first in line with a time of 15 minutes, nine seconds.
Kanelandâ€™s Trevor Holm continued his rise with a 16:35 race, good for 27th. Dominic Furco took 47th with a time of 17:18, followed closely by Grant Alef at 17:19 for 48th. Teammate Nate Rehkopf finished 50th at 17:25.
â€œWith some regulars out, we filled in with some youth and still landed in the top half. Trevor Holm raced tough and started our third consecutive sub-60 second split,â€ KHS coach Chad Clarey said.
Holmâ€™s Rock River time was 40 seconds better than last yearâ€™s time.
The Knightsâ€™ frosh/soph unit earned third with 109 points.
Freshman Conor Johnson finished 15th at 17:37.