- Kaneland preschool screening Dec. 13
- Blessing of the Manger tradition carries on at Conley Corner
- ‘Drew’ grit: Senior signal-caller earns pinnacle All-State honor
- Elburn Leos to present Breakfast with Santa Dec. 1
- Between Friends Food Pantry sponsors toy, book drive
- Old-fashioned Christmas celebration in Kaneville
Kaneland chess team earns second place
The Kaneland chess team took part in the Far Side Suburban Chess Conference Championships on Saturday.
The event was a success, as the Knights took second place in the 11-team conference, falling short only to state powerhouse IMSA.
Alex Mollohan and Lucas Ross each won two matches. John Rotella won all three of his matches, good for second place at his board. Taylor Kruause chipped in with a win at board 4. Sophomore Dylan Draper played four boards ahead of his normal position and still managed to earn a win and a draw at board 5. Keli Patterson took home first-place honors at board 6 with a perfect 3-0 day. Cory Clausen also went 3-0 on the day to earn second place at board 7. Zach Brown took home first-place honors with two wins at board 8.
Vickie Likeum earned a draw at her match in the open tournament. Connor Sandquist and Alex Siebert tied for fifth place in the open, each going 3-1. Alejandro Barragan swept through the open tournament at 4-0, taking home first-place honors.
The team looks forward to carrying this momentum into the state championships in two weeks in Peoria.