I deeply appreciate the landslide support that voters in the Republican Primary provided for me and our volunteers. It is a privilege to work for you, and I will do my best for you and your family.
The people I serve just want honest competence from their government. I have learned that constituents will forgive me for making mistakes, as long as I learn from them, and if they can trust that I wonâ€™t lie to them and wonâ€™t steal from them.
Voters reject â€œprofiteering by politiciansâ€ and dishonest incompetence. The clear message, at least in our Republican Primary, was:
â€¢Â Tell people the truth.
â€¢Â Serve constituents, not the powerful political potentates.
â€¢Â Shrink government and restore our pride in traditional American valuesâ€”enough with the apologies and bowing to foreign dignitaries.
â€¢Â Bring our jobs backâ€”we must get back to work.
â€¢Â Do our work, as government leaders, out in the open through persuasion; stop the behind-the-scenes manipulation and coercion.
I call for an upheaval and reformation of the Republican Party based upon the clear message from our voters. Actions that can be taken immediately include:
1) Return the power of directly voting for party leadership to â€œthe People.â€
2) Anyone, at any level of government, who is found enriching himself, his family or friends beyond his statutory pay should immediately be fired and prosecuted. Zero-tolerance for self-serving corruption is our standard.
3) As soon as the winner of the Republican governor nomination is identified, Pat Brady, the Illinois Republican Chairman, should resign for interfering and taking sides in this Republican Primary and for doing nothing to effectively stop his predecessor from spending $5 million to attack his opponents (after having promised to monitor and enforce clean campaigning standards).
4) The Kane County Republican Chairman should resign so that we can credibly begin the work of reconstructing a reformed Republican-led coalition of Republicans, independents, and disillusioned Reagan Democrats. â€œLess government, more individual freedomâ€ will be our objective and slogan.
5) The current Aurora Republican Chairman is already stepping down. The new elected chairman should work hard to rally the Reform Coalition around recruiting and supporting candidates who will practice honest competence.
6) Denny Hastert should return to the U.S. Treasury the $500,000 per year that he is receiving, as former Speaker of the House, to employ three staff members whom he pays over $100,000 per year each and $6,300 per month rent, and a taxpayer-paid SUV for his use â€¦ all while he lobbies for foreign governments and private interests. If we, the people, donâ€™t voice our criticism, these wasteful abuses of power will continue.
Republican voters have spoken. We need to conduct a thorough scrubbing of our Republican Party procedures and behavior in order to maximize our appeal to all voters in the November General Election … and to fulfill our campaign commitments in actual public service.
Senator Chris Lauzen
25th Legislative District