by Martha Quetsch
The fire alarm at the former Emma’s Pub & Cantina building, 117 N. Main St., Elburn, sounded at 12:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 30, but it wasn’t because of a blaze.
“It looks like this was a water leak in the upstairs apartment. Water got into the fire alarm system below and set off the alarm,” Elburn & Countryside Assistant Fire Chief Tate Haley said.
Six firefighters arrived at the scene shortly after the alarm, and shut down the water and power. They also immediately notified ComEd, and the company sent an electrician to determine whether the power could be turned on again without any hazard. ComEd reinstated the power and firefighters were able to leave the scene by 2 p.m., Haley said.
Haley said the pipe leak was not weather-related. No one was in the building when the alarm went off and the building’s electrical system did not experience a power short.
Firefighters cleaned up some of the water that had leaked from the pipe, and turned over the remaining damage repair to the building’s owner, Michael Alvarez.
Haley said the amount of damage to the building is not known yet.
Photo: Elburn firefighters responded to an alarm at 117 N. Main St. on Friday at about 12:30 p.m. A water leak set off the alarm system and ComEd was called to check the wiring system before reinstating the power. Photo by John DiDonna