Tag Archives: Tate Haley

Fire chiefs update Elburn on new station

ELBURN—Elburn Fire Chief Kelly Callaghan and Assistant Chief of Fire Operations Tate Haley attended the Village Board meeting on Monday to update the board on plans and progress regarding the new fire building.

The Elburn and Countryside Fire District will build a new main fire station on the corner of Route 38 and N. First St. The three-story building will be 40,000 square feet, giving the district the room it needs for updated equipment and staffing levels.

There will be six full-time staff on duty on site during the daytime hours.

The new location will also give the fire station good access in all directions. The main discharge of emergency vehicles will be from the Route 38 exit, with the secondary discharge on First Street. There will be signs alerting motorists of the emergency egress.

Bids for the construction will go out next week, and the district hopes to break ground in May.

The building will maximize the space and should adequately accommodate current and future growth, Tate explained.

The cost of the project will be between $8 and $10 million, and the district already has the necessary funding.

The Elburn & Countryside Fire Protection District’s service area, which spans 75 square miles, includes the village of Elburn, Lily Lake, Virgil, Campton Hills and Mill Creek subdivisions. The boundary on the north is Ramm Road and the southern boundary is Scott Road, with the eastern and western boundaries fluctuating.

The current main station is located at 210 E. North Street, with a satellite station located at 39W950 Hughes Road, immediately outside the Mill Creek subdivision.

Up in flames

Photo: A fire on Tuesday evening resulted in the loss of Hintzsche Fertilizer’s maintenance building at its Troxel location. Firefighters combated the blaze for nearly four hours. Photo by John DiDonna

Hintzsche loses maintenance building in fire
TROXEL—Kaneville Fire Protection District firefighters on Tuesday evening were dispatched to Hintzsche Fertilizer, 2S181 County Line Road, on a report of a possible structure fire.

According to Hintzsche Fertilizer President Dave Hintzsche, a semi-truck parked inside a maintenance shop on the property caught fire around 5:45 p.m. The blaze then extended to the actual maintenance building.

“We suspect it was due to an electrical fire with the semi-truck,” he said.

Kaneville firefighters arrived at the scene at approximately 5:50 p.m. Additional aid was provided from local fire departments, including Elburn, Maple Park, Sugar Grove, Big Rock, Hinckley, De Kalb, Burlington, Hampshire, Pingree Grove, Shabbona, Little Rock-Fox and Bristol-Kendall.

According to Tate Haley, assistant chief of fire operations for the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District, firefighters remained on the scene for just under four hours.

Hintzsche said the entire maintenance building was lost in the fire, as were some pieces of equipment.

Fire Protection District hosts memorial, open house to honor 9-11 fallen

Photo: Paul Wdowicki, a retired fireman, sits looking at a memorial garden in his front yard in Elburn, planted to honor fallen firefighters from the 9-11 attacks. The garden’s perennials bloom through fall. Photo by Sandy Kaczmarski

by Sandy Kaczmarski
Elburn—The 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 will be commemorated with a special open house on Sunday, Sept. 11, by the Elburn & Countryside Fire Protection District.

The ceremony will take place at Station 1 at 210 E. North St. and begin at 8:45 a.m., about the time American Airlines Flight 11 struck World Trade Center Tower 1 in New York.

“The honor guard will do a flag raising ceremony, and then we’ll read the names of the 343 firefighters who died,” Assistant Fire Chief Tate Haley said.

Following the ceremony, which should end around 10:30 a.m., there will be an open house until 4 p.m. at the fire station with an equipment display, activities and goodies such as hats, badges and coloring books for kids, as well as food and beverages.

Haley said the public is invited to visit a memorial garden at 7:30 a.m. at the home of Paul Wdowicki at 405 N. Second St. Firemen from Stations 1 and 2 will walk to the garden to pay respects to the fallen firefighters of 9-11. Wdowicki is a retired fireman and moved the garden from his Des Plaines home when he came to Elburn about nine years ago.

“It’s a brotherhood,” he said. “When you’re a fireman, all firemen are your brothers.”

Wdowicki has a bench by the garden “for anybody that wants to just stop and sit.” He said the perennial garden blooms all season and attracts lots of butterflies and hummingbirds.

“It’s something we should never forget,” Wdowicki said of the attacks.

There will also be an open house from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Station 2, located at 39W950 Hughes Road, with similar activities for children and a light lunch.

Small fire at school extinquished Thursday

by Martha Quetsch

Firefighters extinguished a fire at John Stewart Elementary School in Elburn the morning of April 1, after responding to an alarm set off by smoke at 10:42 a.m. Students were not present in the building that day, since they were on their spring break.

“They’ll be able to be back again in school Tuesday,” Elburn & Countryside Fire Department Assistant Chief Tate Haley said.

School is scheduled to resume April 6 following a previously scheduled school institute day on Monday.

Haley said the fire department is investigating the fire’s cause, which does not appear to be of suspicious origin.

The fire was small and not serious, Haley said. It started in the generator room at the school, 817 Prairie Valley St., and was contained to that room, he added. Firefighters put out the fire in about 20 minutes, and cleared the smoke from the building in an hour and a half.

Cigarette likely culprit in mulch fire at Papa G’s

by Martha Quetsch
Elburn—Papa G’s, 250 S. Main St., Elburn, was closed for a few hours after smoke from a fire outside infiltrated the restaurant July 29.

Elburn & Countryside Fire Department Assistant Chief Tate Haley said firefighters responded to a smoke alarm at the restaurant at 7:20 p.m. They evacuated customers and employees from the building.

“We got everybody out when we realized it wasn’t just a cooking fire,” Haley said.

Haley said smoke got into the restaurant from a fire that possibly was ignited by a cigarette carelessly thrown on the wood-chip landscaping material outside sometime earlier. Haley said the smoke from the smoldering mulch traveled into the restaurant through the plumbing chase, a box-like structure that encloses the building’s gutters.

“It worked its way up the chase into the ceiling,” Haley said.

Firefighters conducted a roof inspection, opened a side wall and pulled out ceiling tiles, removing the smoke and ensuring there was no fire in the building, Haley said.

The restaurant remained closed the remainder of the evening and opened later than usual on Thursday morning, so that employees could thoroughly clean the building and rid it of any smoke odor, owner George Kanakaris said.

Firefighters from Geneva, St. Charles and Sugar Grove fire departments also responded to the scene, and Maple Park and Kaneville firefighters assisted in manning the Elburn station during the event.

Fire alarm set off by pipe leak at former Emma’s building

by Martha Quetsch
The fire alarm at the former Emma’s Pub & Cantina building, 117 N. Main St., Elburn, sounded at 12:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 30, but it wasn’t because of a blaze.

“It looks like this was a water leak in the upstairs apartment. Water got into the fire alarm system below and set off the alarm,” Elburn & Countryside Assistant Fire Chief Tate Haley said.

Six firefighters arrived at the scene shortly after the alarm, and shut down the water and power. They also immediately notified ComEd, and the company sent an electrician to determine whether the power could be turned on again without any hazard. ComEd reinstated the power and firefighters were able to leave the scene by 2 p.m., Haley said.

Haley said the pipe leak was not weather-related. No one was in the building when the alarm went off and the building’s electrical system did not experience a power short.

Firefighters cleaned up some of the water that had leaked from the pipe, and turned over the remaining damage repair to the building’s owner, Michael Alvarez.

Haley said the amount of damage to the building is not known yet.

Photo: Elburn firefighters responded to an alarm at 117 N. Main St. on Friday at about 12:30 p.m. A water leak set off the alarm system and ComEd was called to check the wiring system before reinstating the power. Photo by John DiDonna